03 February 2008

3 months- Some random thoughts...

It is so hard for me to believe I only have 9 months left. People often ask if I have settled yet where then I respond- I feel at home but am learning things every day and still have my guard up (which is a good thing). The more time I spend here and interact with the people, I see why many are so eager to emigrate from South Africa. Even though aparthied ended years and years ago, it's going to take a long time for attitudes to change- on both sides. On the other hand, I meet many people who love this country, have great hope for the future, and will never leave. Then, their minds change when talk turns to the current state of political leadership and stories of the hard crime. Pray for change in South Africa.

On another note, work is crazy busy as ever. I will be covering for my colleague Danielle as she takes holiday for 3 weeks. My phone will be ringing constantly! I've been mentally preparing for weeks now. So far to date, I have visited 14 hospitals in Joburg, Pretoria, and Cape Town including 2 public hospitals. It was quite the experience this past week when I went to one of the largest hospitals in Southern Africa- Baragwanath, located in Soweto. A very humbling visit, words can not even describe it.
On the home front, I've been adjusting to having to prepare lunch and dinner for myself every day. After 2 years traveling to a different city every week, I'm getting used to staying in the same bed and home cooked meals. I managed to find a couple of Chinese grocery stores. Although the vegetable selection is dismal, I got all the staple ingredients for stir fry and bought myself a rice cooker. Now, I just have to practice my cooking skills...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just want to drop a quick note that we are thinking of you and hope all is going well.