15 November 2007

Settling in...

I moved into my furnished one bedroom shortly after arriving to Joburg and was warned it is quite small. Having lived in a studio for 5 years, I wasn't too worried. Well, it's not too small although my air shipment arrives soon and I'm not sure if all my stuff will fit. But, it is quiet and I do feel safe which is the most important thing. It's a gated complex located in the northern suburb of Sandton. I learned the other day that Sandton is known as the "mink and manure belt". Why? Mink is for all the rich people who live here. And manure, well, I have gotten different reports...I'll have to get back to you. Or, does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a picture of one of my neighbors taken from my kitchen window. There are about 3 nests and I wake up to chirpping every morning. In the back, I look down to a swimming pool. It seemed nice until I witnessed a stream of water draining into it this past weekend. I think I'm going to pass on actually getting in!




No comments: