Speaking of driving, I think I pretty much have down the rules of the road here in South Africa. The first weekend I was here, my colleagues gave me a list of tips for driving in Gauteng. Here are some of them: Avoid the local taxis (think the van from Little Miss Sunshine)- they rule the road swerving in and out of traffic and driving on the shoulder as if it's another lane. Make sure you
have enough room in front of you and the next car in case you need make a get away, but don't leave too much room otherwise every small car you can think of will try and fit in. And lastly, leave a little tiny crack in your window so if someone decides to come up and spark your window ("smash and grab"), it won't shatter through. My experience so far? Well, traffic is terrible here in Joburg. And it's magnified due to the bad drivers. The road signs are confusing and if you head the wrong way down the highway, it's tough to figure out exactly which exit is safe to get off on. Thank God for GPS! This is all to say that driving on the other side of the road isn't so difficult compared to the other stuff you need to keep in mind. I DO tend to drive left so have to keep reminding myself to stay right. I've been known to take out some of the bushes on the left side of the road. Oops!
16 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment